Wednesday, 11 May 2011

The secret garden

It's been a while since my last blog about the progress of the garden (18/10/10). I thought I'd share with you the current status.

We're hoping the garden will be in a much better state by the summer.

With help from my Dad and Mum, we started to clear and level the raised rear section of the garden.

I had no idea just how many bricks and rocks could be in such a small built-up area.

As well as levelling the garden we wanted to remove the old wrought iron railings which belonged to the old college (now demolished). I'm guessing the railings had stood for about 100+ years.

My Dad has taken down most of the railings with help from his 2 angle grinders.

Here's a selection of death traps the previous owner of the house hammered into the garden walls. Amongst other things, over 50 nails removed!

After removing more than enough rubble from the bottom of the garden, we found a couple of Victorian tiles. Similar tiles to the original ones used to make the fireplace hearth in our spare bedroom.

This is the most up-to-date pic so far. Most of the railings have now been removed. We're currently in discussions with a tree surgeon to have the big sycamore taken down.

Oh yeah, my folks got us a security light and my Dad and I fitted it above the french doors. After some fiddling it now works a treat.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment