Sunday, 23 August 2015

Bin store

I've not posted anything for quite a while, but thought I'd start things up again by sharing a recent project which is almost finished; just need to add a hinged lid. I wanted to make a bin store to detract from the 3 big wheelie bins in the garden, it just wasn't a pleasant sight. I really enjoyed making this, the weather was awesome too. It took me a day and a half, a lot of wood, screws and patience. I had limited space on the decking to fit the store, so instead of making a frame, I've basically bolted it to the walls.

Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Vermicompost- worm composting

In addition to the new compost bin, for a while now, I've thought about getting a worm composting kit. The downside being they can cost between £40-£80+. So I thought about making my own and did no more than do a Google. Here's a quick guide to what I did; I bought (from the man whose shop sells everything!); x3 black plastic storage boxes with clear lids (£8 total) and a 99p water carrier (for the plastic tap only). Have a look:

I drilled and widened a hole at the bottom of the first box, which will secure the tap in place. After the tap and rubber seal were fitted,  it wasn't water tight (it was 99p!). So I put epoxy around the seal inside the box which solved the problem.The bottom box is to store the liquid fertilizer (worm juice) and also prevents the worms (which will be housed in the middle box) from drowning in their own filth. I've also put a brick into the bottom of the first box. This will weigh it down and also raise up the level of the middle box to allow more worm juice to be stored.

I added a few more ventilation holes which will also allow excess fertilizer liquid to flow out.

I drilled lots of small ventilation holes towards the top of the middle box which allows the worms to breath. I also drilled slightly bigger holes in the base of the middle box to allow the worm juice to drip into the first box. The bottom of the middle box will be lined with dampened newspaper which stops the worms from falling through the holes but allows the worm juice to filter through. I also put the worm bedding into the middle box. The bedding is made up from shredded newspaper, a handful of compost, some vegetable waste, used tea bags and coffee grounds.

Ventilation holes.

Drainage holes.

Damp newspaper.

Shredded newspaper.

Shredded newspaper (sprayed with water) and compost.

Veg waste, tea bags and coffee grounds.

Lucas wanted to add a whole carrot.

Worms (Dendrobaena - 500g, £10)

Layer of damp cardboard (egg boxes).

Final later of damp shredded newspaper.

The top box is where the worms will migrate to when they've done their job and the rich compost has been made, and is ready to be taken out. I've drilled fairly wide holes in the base of the top box. This box will eventually sit in the middle box so the worms can crawl up. To attract the worms from the middle box to the top box, I'll put in fresh bedding and food. Once the worms have moved to the top box and the compost has been removed, I'll re-line the base of the middle box with dampened newspaper and tip the worms in from the top box. Then the process starts again.

Finally, I used insulation and gaffer tape on the undersides of the clear lids to block out any light.

The worms can live here in the back garden whilst it's not too cold.
Total = £18.99!

Sunday, 29 September 2013

Dalek/DIY compost bin.

Been after a compost bin for quite a while now, but didn't want to pay the £20-30 price tag. So I made one for £6.99. I bought the bin (80 ltrs) from the man whose shop sells everything... everything! Then just drilled drainage and ventilation holes in it. Done! I need to add a small door at the bottom to get to the compost, but that can wait till next year.

Next door's pears.

Winter coat.

Time to give the iron* giant his annual treatment. A quick sanding and a coat of black, hammered effect, Hammerite paint. "Any old iron*, any old iron*, any, any, any old iron*..."


Saturday, 31 August 2013


A while ago my Dad gave me a big sheet of plywood, which has been attached to the landing spindles to stop Lukey from falling down the stairs. Anyway, because he's bigger now, there's no need to keep the wood up there. So, I thought about making a darts cabinet with it. Here' s some pics:

She won't win any beauty contests, but she'll do for me. Just need to get the dart board now.

Sunday, 18 August 2013

Let there be light (Pt. 2 - phase 2 - water pump)!


Small water pump in sink.

Planter with the bottom sealed, pump and plant pot also fitted.

Plant pot drip tray to hold pebbles - later replaced with clear plastic picnic plate.

Pebbles/stones collected from New Brighton beach. Here, I've drilled a hole in sandstone to fit the water pump tube through. The pump didn't come with tubing so I bought a syphon kit.


The pump came with this jack which was cut off and the exposed wires soldered to complete the circuit.

Heat shrink warmed over connection to make soldered joints waterproof.

Control panel, including; battery, fuse box, switches and solar panel controller.

Fitted inside the shed.

Complete - with Lukey's frog and marbles.